This version was translated by Vietnamese American Council (VAC-HVM). We are delighted to have been able to provide the English version to our web readers of the "Book of Life Renewal". To our knowledge, there is no known English version of this ancient technique.
Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh ( Book of Life
Forewords: After reading the book "Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh " for the first time, I just smiled, and had very little confidence in it, because what I have seen was the method of treating serious diseases was so easy, so simple.
First of all, I would like to introduce myself so that you would be able to know my background. I was trained and have been practiced in the Medical services through many periods, and up to now I have 49 years of practices in my medical career. I used to work in Military and Civilian hospitals in the Republic of Vietnam, with the French, American, and the Filipinos. I also had worked together with Dr. Dinh Van Tung, conducting research and treatment of cancer by surgery (1936-1965).
What I would like to say is I have a good background to believe that the Western medicine is a branch of science and that have made significant achievements in the health protection for people. Consequently, I almost had an indifferent attitude when I received the booklet "Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh".
Then one day, a friend of mine of my age (born in 1932) rode a bicycle to visit me, telling me that he had a medical examination at Cho Ray hospital ( in South Vietnam) through modern medical tests by doctors who confirmed that he had:
- Liver cancer.
He felt totally disappointed. Both of the diseases were known as incurable. Finally he got the book "Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh", some kind of "life preserver" for him to cling to as if he was drown in the ocean. He tried to practice the methods shown in the book persistently, and finally he prevailed over the disease. Now, he lives a normal life, and has a haircut job. At times, he stood hour and hour to do the job, but he felt normal as others. It has been four years since, he has kept going on practicing regularly. Looking at his outward appearance, nobody would have thought he had been diagnosed with incurable diseases. From time to time he rode his bicycle to come to see me.
Since that time, I concentrated on learning Dich Can Kinh. At the beginning of 1996, I gave this book to my young friend (born in 1932) who was diagnosed with T.B. and was not been able to receive a proper treatment in the 80s, finally he feeble body was reduced to 32kgs. He practiced Yoga but without improvement.
After receiving the book "Dich Can Kinh", he persistently practiced. Gradually he overcame the first difficult steps, and near the end of 1996, after four months of practicing, he coughed out a piece of blood, and then shortly after, his health improved and he had a good complexion, a healthy face and up to now, he still kept that good appearance as that of normal people.
Another case, my friend born in 1931, suffering from Parkinson disease for four years, had received Oriental, Western medical treatment... But the disease was not healed, because this disease has been remained incurable. After studying and practicing Dich Can Kinh, my friend met with the side affects mentioned in the booklet. However, he continued to practice persistently and regularly. Although his Parkinson disease was not healed completely, his disease was limited to his two trembling hands, his joints in his arms and legs still have normal movements without difficulty. The disease lasted 4 years, but he lives a normal life, that means his disease was stopped at an acceptable level.
One more case, my friend born in 1930, obese, high blood pressure, chronic digestive trouble, for over 30 years now, he took all kinds of medication, Western and Oriental including acupuncture, but without results. He also received a copy of Dich Can Kinh and practiced it. After some time of practicing, his health improved sharply: there is no more digestive trouble, and he rarely took medication for his high blood pressure. He praised Dich Can Kinh as the "panacea" remedy.
Through out the 4 above cases that I have been followed in these two years- I have to recognize that Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh is a method of treating many dangerous diseases that at the present, Western medicine must surrender.
After reading the brochure Dich Can Kinh, we will see the technique of practicing is not that difficult. The important thing is to accentuate the Will, Determination, Persistency and Regularity. If you overcome those steps, I firmly believe that you will obtain satisfactory results.
In 1943, my teacher, doctor Bui Thien Su said in his class on Medical training course: "Our profession has a noble mission to serve and to relieve the sufferings of the humankind." In order to keep in mind the statement of my teacher, I have pledged to impart to anyone what I think would be helpful.
Now, the book of life renewal "Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh" for me is a valuable "remedy" that can help everyone. I regretted not to appreciate this book in the beginning when I first received it.
I wish to those who practice Dich Can Kinh for themselves, for their relatives that could have energy, determination to do so as to reach desired results.
Eastern area (U.S), March 7, 1997.
The method of physical training Dich Ma Can Kinh was the creation of Dharma Master from India in 917 (A.D.) who came to China and was the founder of Shao Lin Buddhist Temple (China) and still exists today.
The Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh can transform a weak body into a strong and
Today people study this method and concluded that it can heal many diseases, even cancer, and now people apply Qi-Blood theory of the Oriental medicine to demonstrate this truth. The human health has a close association with qi-blood harmony.
Qi, oxygen flow, a life energy, prana, flows through and vitalizes
the human body.
The following people obtained good results after practicing Dich Can Kinh:
- Mr. Quach Chu, 78, detected a tumor in his brain and in his lungs. By exercising 3 times a day, each time 1,800 up-down/backward-forward movements of his two arms. These tumors were removed after 3 months of regular practicing.
- Mr. Truong Cong Phat, 43, discovered blood cancer, practicing Dich Can Kinh 3 times a day, each time he moved both his arms forth and back 4,800 times. He was recovered after 3 months. So far, he has been in good health for these three years.
- Mr. Tu Mac Dinh, 60, suffering from lung cancer, and hemiplegia. After three months of exercising, he recovered from hemiplegia, and after the medical check-up, his tumor disappeared.
The origin of cancer is being discussed all over the world, even the "gastro-cardiac tonic" is not a specialty, it only helps the heart have a good function so as to dispose all internal toxic.
Because the physiological process of the human body is a development one that involves a very complicated struggling content between life and death, between good health and ailments, between old age and young age. But the result of the struggle decided by the internal factors not by outward circumstances.
Diseases break out due to the stagnant circulation of qi-blood. So, the exercise will help qi-blood circulate and thus will cure the disease. This will lead to the consolidation of belief in the patient. This method of exercise renews and fortifies qi-blood. It can also heal hemorrhoids (internal & external).
Mr. Ha Thuc Nguyen suffered from internal hemorrhoids and indigestion, but just after one month exercising this method, he regained good health. By practicing Dich Can Kinh, people will enjoy good appetite, sound sleep. This method of exercising can also heal Neurasthenia - High Blood pressure - All kinds of cardiac ailments - Hemiplegia - Kidney disease - Asthma, tuberculosis - Epilepsy.
Based on the theories of Oriental medicine, the outbreak of all diseases derived from a loss of balance between air and blood (e.g.. between Yin and Yang). Exercising Dich Can Kinh is to solve this problem. So for a variety of diseases, especially chronic ones, are all curable.
The Method of Exercising Dich Can Kinh
First of all, let's talk about the turn of mind:
- The patient should have a powerful sense of purpose, that means he/she should have a determination to exercise fully from the beginning to an end, clinging to a steadfast belief, and never to be discouraged by rumors.
- The patient should be optimistic, and shouldn't be worried about the so-called dangerous disease. He/she must firmly believe that they will prevail over the disease by practicing Dich Can Kinh.
(1) Upward negative, downward positive: The upper part should be negative, the lower part should be positive. The head is hung hovering, the mouth is inactive, the belly must be flexible, the back must be straight, the waist is elastic, both arms must wave, the elbows must be straight and tender, the wrists are soft, both hands open backward and extended as a fan. While waving the arms, the anus must be receded (or: retracted and hold on), the heels are loosened, the anus must be firm, the feet must be firm, the toes cling to the ground as on the slippery surface. These are definite stipulations imposed by the exercising method of Dich Can Kinh.
Based on these requirements, when waving both arms, from the thoracic cage (chest) upward should be kept empty, loosened, relaxed, the head must be free from erratic thoughts, all concentration is directed to the exercising, the neck bone is loosened so that it has the sensation of hovering, the mouth is kept natural (no tightening one's lips), the upper part of the chest is loosened. Both arms are considered as two oars attached to the shoulders. From the rips (chest) downward must be kept firmly, the abdomen is retracted, the anus is receded upward, ten toes cling firmly to the ground surface, the heels lie flatly on the surface, the calves are in a tense state, the backbone is as straight as a log. While waving your arms, you should remember the saying" "Upward positive, downward negative." It means to use one's force to wave backward (up), when you return your arm forward is a matter of habit, you don't have to use force to wave your hand forward (down).
(2) Three for the upper part, seven for the lower part:
That means the upper part is left loosened at 30% of vital force, and the lower part is intensified by 70% of vital force. If these rules are strictly observed, the results would be satisfactory.
(3) Eyes are directed straight ahead. No thinking, only murmuring the time of waving.
The basic steps of exercising are as follows:
(a) Two feet are positioned at the space of the shoulders.
(b) Two arms stretch vertically with the shoulders, fingers spread out, the palms turn back.
(c) The abdomen receded, keep the back straight. Waist retracted, let loose the neck, the head and the mouth in normal position.
(d) Toes' tip cling firmly to the ground, the heels close to the surface, calves and legs are kept straight.
(e) Both eyes focused on an object from afar as a target to look at, without dispersed thinking, pay attention all the time to the toes clinging to the ground surface. Legs and calves remain tight. Retract the anus firmly and murmur the counting.
(f) Use force to wave arms backward, and return them back at ease, don't use force. However, keep two legs firmly, retract and shrink back the anus.
(g) Wave both arms from 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 times. and gradually increase up to 1,800 times (around 30 minutes).
(h) Have a regular determination and concentrate on the exercising. Don't accelerate the speed because "haste makes waste". And also, bear in mind, exercising should be done regularly every day, if it is done irregularly, there would be no good results.
When you succeeded in waving both arms 600 times, there would be some breaks of wind, sneezing, pain in both legs, perspiration, red hot face...These are normal side affects, don't worry. Wind-breaking, sneezing resulted from intensified intestinal motion and push the digestive function. Tired and painful legs are caused by an accumulated air-blood in accordance with the rule of the universe "heaven is light, earth is heavy" (the upper part is light, the lower part is heavy).
During exercising period, the body will have reactions, but they are
symptoms of discharging/eliminating diseases, don't worry. The following
are 34 common signs of reactions:
These above reactions are toxic agents discharged from the body, eliminating the stagnant elements called disease. When a reaction takes places, that means there is a conflict between good agent and bad agent. If we continue to exercise, there would be a regeneration of healthy substances useful to the good agent. Our proper, suitable exercising will increase antibody, eliminate toxic dregs in muscles, liver, nerves and other cells that normal vessels cannot discharge. Thanks to exercising, the circulation of blood succeeded in discharging dregs out of the body, and as a result it bring about such reactions. So, don't worry, keep going on practicing as usual. A reaction happened obviously means a recovery from an ailment. Regular practicing will lead to good results.
Some practice guidelines:
1) The number of waving arms are not under 800 times. From 800 times gradually increased to 1,800 times (about 30 minutes) can reach the threshold of practicing. Those who have serious disease can sit and wave arms. However, remember to retract the anus and cling 10 toes' tip.
2) Number of practicing sessions: Intense practice in the morning, average practice before lunch, light practice before bedtime.
3) Practitioners can exercise as much as the disease requires. Some patients can wave their arms up to 5,6 thousand times in each session. If after practicing, the patients have good appetite and sound sleep, regular urinating and regular going to stool, their mind at ease, means that the number of their practicing arms waving are proper.
4) The speed of waving arms. On principle, it should be slow. Normally, it would take 30 minutes to wave both arms 1,800 times. The later waving can be a little faster. Those who have a mild ailment should do fast waving and use more force. Those who have serious disease should do slow waving of arms. The too fast waving will make the heart beat faster and will get tired easily, but waving too slowly would not reach the target. Because practicing makes vessels circulate well.
5) When waving both arms, do we use much force or little force? (strong or slight): Arm waving is a healing exercise, not a specific sport. This is a supple exercise, its intention is to use will, not to use force. But too weak waving will not be good, because if the shoulder's muscles do not shake well, the back and the chest will not move, the effect will decrease. Waving arms is not only make arms move but mainly to move the shoulders' muscles.
6) When we wave our arms backward, we use 70% of force, when we return them forward, we use 50% of force, spontaneously.
7) Counting the times of waving arms. Counting is not intended to remember, it has an effect to keep our mind at ease, and prevent us from thinking erratically.
8) Circumstance / location for practicing. It doesn't matter, practicing can be done anywhere, but an environment of healthy air and free of noise would be better.
9) Before and after the exercise: Before starting, stand quietly so as to relax our heart and our mind, and prepare for a psycho-physiology balance. We can do some light movements as we do in "T'ai chi". After the practice, be calm to roll the ten fingers' and toes' tip 9 times. Those who are nervous should pay attention to this process.
10) Practice Dich Can Kinh correctly and properly: After the practice, if you feel itching and the belly is light, harmonious breath, clear vision, much urine, easy stool-going, good appetite and sound sleep, unruffled mind, disease recovered gradually, that means we practiced Dich Can Kinh correctly and properly. Most practitioners felt some reactions, but the effects are very different. The main cause is that the postures are suitable or not for the practitioners.
11) The practitioners should pay attention the following points:
- The upper part of the body is relaxed/loosened
12) Relationship between the mind and effects during the practice: Have full confidence, full determination. Practice fully the definite numbers, regular practice will bring about good effect. If the practice is done sporadically (at irregular intervals), the number of arm waving are not sufficient, confused by doubt or rumors, fearful of early signs of reactions, all these negative attitudes would come to nothing.
13) Does arms waving give rise to any ailments? It could cause ailment due to unsuitable postures and the improper practice. But these cases are rare, below 1%.
14) During the practice, avoid standing in front of the wind gust, in summer as well as in winter.
In summary, you should pay attention to the following remarks:
- Always cling the toes close to ground surface.
Practicing Dich Can Kinh not only cured the disease but it is also a very effective preventive method.
This brochure of Dich Can Kinh owned by the herbalist TRAN VAN BINH who handed it over to Pham Viet Hong Lam, 43 (teacher of the Teacher Music Training College). Lam used this brochure to heal his disease himself.
After the recovery, Hong Lam retold his friends the process of his practice to cure disease. At the same time, he introduced this brochure on the Ha Noi Moi magazine as a demonstration for his story, and help fellow countrymen to get acquainted with this method of healing. This brochure is extracted from that magazine.
Experience obtained from Practicing Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh
Recently, I read a publication of Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh by Dr. Le Quoc Khanh in the Nguoi Viet Magazine issued on 11/17 & 18/2000, and I was very happy to know that the brochure of Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh has been able to heal incurable diseases, included cancer. Therefore I would like to contribute some of my ideas by exposing my personal experience through the practice of Dich Can Kinh in order to help readers have a better insight into the practice and also to fortify their confidence in this healing method.
In 1974, a friend of mine - Major Nguyen Kim Tri working in the President's Military Office - handed to me a copy of the book Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh written in Chinese characters and advised us to practice, very helpful for our health. Because this is the training method of the Shao Lin Buddhist Temple devoted to their disciples before learning martial arts. Later, we had this brochure translated and started practicing. After four months of practicing, everybody in my office obtained good results.
Those who were not sick, gained weight and rosy complexion. Those who had diseases, were recovered. Mr. Long, a typing clerk, suffering from high blood pressure, after four months of practicing, his blood pressure became normal although he didn't take any medications. At that time, I waved my arms 1200 times (At the beginning, I did 200 times, later the number of waving increased).
After April 1975, during years spent in the re-education camps from the South to the North, I practiced Dich Can Kinh once a day, and was able to reach 1200 times of waving my arms back and forth. Thanks to this practice, I could endure hardships in spite of the poor ration and of my skinny body. I was rarely sick.
In my early days in the Hoang Lien Son Camp, (former Nghia Lo province), in July 1976, every time going to pick up rice with a friend of mine, we carry about 20, 25 kgs and walked about 7, 8 km through the forest. On the way back to the camp, we had to climb the "19/5" high mountain pass, I used to ask my companion to take a rest before going on. After that, I told Master Thuan, a military chaplain, living in the same hut and practiced Dich Can Kinh with me every day, about the fact I couldn't climb the 19/5 mountain pass.
He said to me: "Try to wave both arms 2000 times, and you would
be able to climb that mountain pass." Listening to his advice,
I practiced 2200 times waving arms every day. And about a fortnight
later, when I went to pick up rice, I was assigned to carry a 20kg-bag,
a double weight compared to the last time. Even so, when I reached the
19/5 mountain pass, I didn't have to take a rest as I used to.
I realized that thanks to the practice of Dich Can Kinh under the guidance
of Master Thuan, I was able to get that result.
Practicing Dich Can Kinh helps you sleep well, free from constipation, have good flow of blood during the practice, have rosy complexion, free from diseases.
In the following, I would like to tell you how to practice correctly and properly. At the time we got the brochure Dat Ma Dich Can Kinh, we practice by imitating the pictures in the brochure. After about two weeks of practice, we didn't see any results. For better results, we had to ask somebody to translate it. When we practice properly, the results would be very obvious.
I like to describe the posture and the steps to follow for a practitioner of Dich Can Kinh:
1) The practitioner of Dich Can Kinh should wear shoe or sandal, and should not be barefoot. Your two legs remain astride, the space between two feet must be equal to the space of the two shoulders. Two feet must be in parallel position. The ten toes must cling firmly to the shoes or the sandals.
2) Strain firmly thighs and calves, recoil / shrink backs the anus. During the practice session, your legs seem implanted in the ground, from the waist downward remains firm, unshakable. In a word, it's the posture of a practitioner of martial arts. And, especially during the practice, pay attention to the part from the waist downward. If we don't notice this step, all our effort in practice will be none, and reduced to nothing.
3) Our head seems hovering (as being hung by a rope) so as to keep straight the neck, your face directed ahead, looking at a point a little higher than your body so as to keep the neck straight.
4) At the mouth, your two lips touch slightly each other, neither pressing nor opening your lips. Two jaws / dentures touch slightly each other, put the tip of the tongue against the upper gum (for the circulation of the electric current).
5) On each hand, the five fingers must be stuck each other (not spread open, as shown clearly with the picture in the booklet). When you wave your arms, the palm is turned backward (that means the reverse side is in the front).
The only movement is to wave your two arms from forth to back. When you wave two arms forward, your two arms will form with your body an angle of 30 degree, when waving backward, your two arms will form an angle of 60 degrees. In sum, when you wave your arms backward, wave at full speed. Moving / waving forward is only an impetus of the backward waving, so the angle is only 30 degrees.
Every arm waving from the forth to the back is counted as a waving.
When you start practicing, you should start waving 200 times for each
session.. If you want to obtain early result, you can practice 2 times
a day, in the morning and in the afternoon.
The practice can take place indoors or outdoors, provided that the location is spacious and quiet. The practice should not be done with a full stomach. When you feel tired, stop at once. Don't practice beyond your strength.
At the beginning, you can start with 200 times of waving, later you
can increase the number of waving, for example, 250, 300, 350,...
At that time, I was still young and I could wave very fast, and I only practice once a day. After the practice, I often walked slowly by raising high my leg, and at the same time stretch my two arms. Some beginners started with 1000 times arms waving, but dimples appear on their face. If the practice is proper and correct, there would be no reactions. On the contrary, we feel better day after day. Practicing much or little depends on how long we can maintain the posture, not by irregular numbers of practicing.
With regard to counting the number of arm waving without straining the two legs and without recoiling the anus, there would be no desirable results. As for the speed of arm waving, the brochure says that the same speed as a walking exercise. The faster the arm waving the stronger will be the flow of blood, and all diseases will be done away with. The brochure also says that if the practitioner really wants to cure his disease, he should practice from 2000 to 3000 times of arm waving every day in about 30 minutes.
The following are two important guidelines to follow during the practice:
* Three (in the) upper (part), seven (in the) lower part:
If during the exercising session, we use 10 portions of force, then
from the waist downward, let's use 7 portions, and always pay attention
to straining the tendon of both legs, recoil the anus and shrink it
upward. From the waist upward, let's use 3 portions of our force. That's
what we call "Three upper, seven lower" or "Upper unreal,
lower real", "three in the upper part, seven in the lower
part". The same rule is applied for the arm waving: When you wave
your arms backward, use 7 portions of your force, and when you wave
your arms forward, use only 3 portions of your force. Three for the
forward part, and seven for the backward part or unreal front, real
back. The backward arm waving is really necessary, and it should be
done to the utmost.
During the practicing session, we should not think erratically (it's a difficult thing to do) except to murmur the counting of times waving. That's a" mind at ease". as for "Qi at peace", during the practice, we breathe in at a normal rate, not to breathe with the arm-waving. But both ways are good.
Finally, I like to add some more experiences during the practice:
If we wave our arms fast and feel numb on the ten fingers' tip, that's
because we do not recoil our anus and shrink it upward, or because we
spread apart our fingers (five finger of the hand must be closely tight,
not to be loosened, this is shown clearly in the brochure).
If during the practice, we feel our head heavy, that's because our
neck is not straight, our head is not hovering (hung by a rope), the
electric current is running upward instead of running downward.
Orange County, California 12/12/2000.